Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gen 2- Chapter 1: Bitter-Sweet Suprises

I'm Candy Tea and I'll be taking it over from here. The family, yup, that's right. You all know Thistle, that fun-loving goofy mom of mine. Well a few days ago I was helping clean up the kitchen after breakfast when mom pulled me aside.


"Candy, Dad and I have been meaning to talk to you about something lately...you see I've..." Mom was interrupted by the shrill ring of her cell phone. "Excuse me a minutes honey, we'll talk about this later" she said as she opened the cellphone and put it towards her ear.



Not thinking much of it, I continued to clean up from breakfast and then went to get ready for school. However I noticed as I was turning to leave the kitchen that mom's mood had been replaced from bright and cheerful to a much more melancholy one.


***
After I got home from school I changed into my gym clothes and started my workout. I love to workout. That burning of the muscles...it's all just the weakness leaving the body ya know?


Pepper was at his after-school football practice, Honeydew playing with her new band in someone's garage, Bubbles at an art class and Mom and Dad still at work. The Tea household can often be a loud and noisy one so I was very much enjoying my solitary workout time when Mom walked in, home from work a little early.

"Hi sweetie, working out? I was half afraid I'd come home early and find you smooching with some boy on the couch"

"Mom you know I don't have a boyfriend" I rolled my eyes at her. "Why are you home early?"


"Well, you see Candy...I had to go to a doctor's appointment and I also figured that you would be home alone so I wanted to see you," she took a deep breath and continued, "That phone call I received this morning was from Dr. Butterscotch. He was calling because I had some abnormal results on my yearly check up a few weeks ago and I had to go back in to have some more test run. He was calling me to ask me to come in to see him to go over the results. It looks like everything is okay but this little health scare has reminded me that life is short."

Mom must have seen the concerned look on my face because she reached for my hand and held it between hers. "So Dad and I have been talking about it and we really need someone to make sure that this house and family that we have put much love and work into continue on." She smiled at me, "We want that person to be you Candy"

****

As I showered and got ready for dinner, I replayed the conversation I had just had with my mother over and over in my head. Heir to the Tea family, heir to my mother. A lot of responsibility laid on my shoulders now.
I was kind of in my own little world when I sat down at the table to eat dinner.


I smiled and made casual conversation but I was lost in thought. When I told everyone I would do the dishes Mom even looked a little worried. I will help but I never actual volunteer so I could understand her reaction.

As I stood over our counter and looked through the kitchen window at the sunset, I knew I would take the responsibility. I loved this home. I loved my family.


After the initial shock had worn off I guess you could say that things went back to normal. School ended for the summer, Pepper graduated and his 18th birthday was coming up and Mom was planning a big dual party.


No sooner than Pepper had blown out his candles, the doorbell rang.

"Oooh, maybe it's a suprise" Pepper joked as he ran to open the door.

He was right.....


Much to our surprise, Bridget stood in the doorway.

Oh Boy.

2 comments:

  1. Nice 1st chater!!! *goes to read second*
    I like the way you've done i in first person too. Always good to experiment with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to Gen 2! I like Candy already :)

    ReplyDelete