Thursday, July 1, 2010

Generation 2-Chapter 5: Makeovers and Teen Angst

I took a deep breath in and walked into the salon...makeover here I come (ready or not). I saw a few familiar faces as I walked in but no one payed me much attention. The nice lady at the counter greeted me, took my name and walked me back to a room for my makeover.


The first outfit I tried on was not me, at all. I think it might have even made my butt look a little big.


Two hours later and a large pile of clothes and this was the result.


I definitely felt a little more fashion forward and even a little grown up. I hoped mom wouldn't freak out when I walked in like this. Heck, I hope she did a little, maybe that would mean I looked good adult enough to catch a certain someone's eye.....
***
I arrived home just in time for dinner, I sat down and ate waiting to see who would notice my new look first. To my surprise and disappointment, no one seemed to pay me very much attention. In fact we kind of ate in silence, it seemed Pepper's absence was still causing a thick tension in the house.


I helped clean up after dinner and then decided to place a call to a certain household. I was a little shocked when Juniper actually answered the phone. I ended up talking to him for about an hour and tried to play it off as getting to know the Breeze's and volunteering to show them around that weekend. Not only was I trying to play it cool but I noticed Mom eyeing me a bit suspiciously.


School seemed to tick by very slowly for the next few days. The only way I think I was able to keep my sanity was by humoring myself watching Bubbles and B. Foster together. He was coming home with her everyday after school and becoming a permanent fixture at our house. She said they were just friends but I'm not so sure...


Looks like a little flirting going on to me.


Honeydew's 18th birthday was Wednesday and we celebrated her being an adult by all the girls going out shopping. Honey decided to follow me and go for a new edgy look that took after the band she had joined, only she changed her hair again.



Lucky Honey, she seems to have gotten all of Mom and Dad's best features and looks like she belongs on the cover of Rolling Stones now.



Meanwhile, Mom's 50th birthday was getting close, you'd never know it to look at her but as the big 5-0 drew closer, she started working out quite frequently.

When Friday came around and that 2pm school bell rang, I almost ran into the house.
 "Dad can I borrow the car? Please?"

"Sure honey, here are the keys, but first...where are you headed and who with?"

"Dad" *eyeroll* Mom's birthday is Sunday and I need to get her a present" (And I need to see if I can find Juniper)

"Okay sweetie, just be safe and don't forget, curfew at 11pm on the dot."
"Yes, sir" 



I already knew what I wanted to get Mom so I stopped by the jewelry store and picked up a pair of earrings. I decided to take a ride around town and see if I saw anything fun going on that I could introduce Juniper to and to my dismay nothing much was happening. I was just about to call Juniper when I saw him at the Bistro Baguette.



I parked the car and called out to him. He smiled and waved, then motioned me over.

"Hi Juniper! How's it going?"


"It's going. I'm trying to get my bearings about town. I was actually thinking of giving you a call and taking you up on your offer or being my tour guide."

"Of course! I'd be glad to show you around town, then do you think you might want to grab a bite to eat?"

"Sure thing!"

I drove him around town and showed him all the important spots: grocery store, city hall, bookstore, etc. The conversation flowed smoothly with him but everytime our eyes would meet, my heart felt like it would flutter out of my chest. I was surprised at how quickly the time flew by and it was starting to get a little late so we decided to head back to the Bistro Baguette.



As we ate, the conversation geared towards family and school. Well, conversation is probably an overstatement, I was babbling on about the Pepper situation, Bubbles and B. Foster and Honeydew's sudden interest in touring with her band, The Buttered Biscuits, after graduation.



Just when I thought things couldn't get any better than having spent the whole afternoon and evening with my crush, his foot bumped up against mine. Immediately my face flushed a little and I again felt my pulse quicken. I started to pull it away but just in case he had done it purposefully I kept it there. I was about to lean in and start getting a little flirty with Juniper when I heard my name.

My teacher, Miss Lasagna was standing right behind us with my mom's friend Melon Daquiri and both women were looking a little strangely at Juniper.
"Hi Candy, I'm glad I ran into you. You left without turning in your community interview today."

A look of shock must of ran across my face, I had totally space on the assignment. "Umm..."

"You forgot didn't you? Well, your one of my best students and I'd hate to see you get a zero, so why don't you see if this young man will let you interview him."

I turned and faced Juniper, a bit humiliated and gave him an apologetic look.
"Of course I'll help you Candy."

I ran out to the car and pulled a notebook out of my backpack. We sat down (close enough together for me to feel his warmth I might add) and I bumbled through some questions. I might have actually enjoyed the experience if Melon and Mrs. Lasagna hadn't been hovering nearby staring at the back of Juniper's head.

It was obvious that the romantic mood was over by the time I finished the report. In fact I was more than a little humiliated. I waved goodbye as I climbed into the car and then once he was out of view I banged my head on the steering wheel. Seriously, seriously? I cannot believe this great day ended up like that. If Juniper didn't already think of me as a little sister, he probably did now.

I forgot about most of that for a short time when I walked into my room and saw this.....



She and B. Foster just friends hmmm...........:)

2 comments:

  1. Ooooohhhhhhhhh........... *goes to read next chapter*

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe! Poor thing. Crushes can be so awkward! Ya I think B Foster is definitely a berry close friend.

    ReplyDelete