Monday, January 24, 2011

Generation 3- Chapter 6: Entre l'arbre et l'écorce il ne faut pas mettre le doigt

"Oh my gosh" I said with a sigh as I close my Advanced Sim Pathophysiology book. The last many, many months had been very strenuous between working and studying. It had really been all I had had time for. I had almost completed my intern program due to my rigorous studying and was about to begin my residency. I had started more IVs and read more chapters about the internal workings of the sim body than I cared to count.



"I think I need a break" I said out loud to no one in particular. Sigh. This was the 5th lunch in a row where I had scarfed down lunch only to sneak in a couple more chapters...alone.


Here I was sitting in the middle of a reknown "party" city like Briocheport and I had yet to go back to a club or bar since prior to starting the program. All work and no play makes Margarita a dull girl. *Giggle*

"What in the world are you giggling about? Last I checked there wasn't a thing funny about that book." Came a voice from behind me. I turned to see Diana behind me.

"Hi Diana. How have you been?" I said. I mustered up a tired smile for her.

"I'm pretty good girl but you look like you've been run over by a small truck." She laughed, "I came to ask you if you wanted to join me and a few other attendings and senior residents who are volunteering to hold a vaccination clinic in Cranberry Park. Afterwards we are going out for some drinks. A few of your classmates are joining us." She paused and looked thoughtful. "But to be honest I'm not really gonna ask anymore having looked at you. I'm just telling you to be there!" She smiled and handed me a folded piece of paper with an address on it. "See you tomorrow Margie" and walked towards the employee parking lot.

I couldn't resist yelling after her, "For the record, I would've said yes anyway!"

"'Yeah right, study-aholic" she scoffed and waved.

*****

I was still musing over my lunch time encounter with my only semblance of a friend in the program I had since I had came to Briocheport and my sleep-deprived brain was having trouble keeping focus on the person presenting their case study when my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

"Miss Tea, may I see you outside?" I heard a gruff whisper in my ear.I looked up to see the face I had been fearing since Diana's warning months and months before. Dr. Draegan D'Asti. Oh Berry. I followed him into the hallway quietly.



"Miss Tea, have we forgotten the basic principles you should have learned in kindergarten?"  I must have looked confused because at the moment I opened my mouth to answer he continued.

"What am I talking about?" He smiled smuggly "I'm talking about the ability to pay attention and follow directions Miss Tea."  "And please close your mouth so as not to attract flies."

Good Grief. I had heard he was hard to deal with but I thought they meant academically, not socially. This was going to be a fun year.

He continued on with his lecture apparently spurred on into further rudeness by my lack of response. I felt the anger and weariness build until I almost felt steam coming out of my ears and I could no longer rein in my thoughts.

"First of all the do you find it necessary to be so rude? I mean you could've gotten your point across without the condescension, I'm not a child. And secondly, how is your embarrassing me by calling me out of the case study to give me a conduct lecture that could have waited until after the presentation by the way, any better than me not paying attention in the first place? A tap on the shoulder or a clearing of your throat would have sufficed." His eyes went to slits and he glared at me. Right as he opened his mouth the provide what I was sure would have been a scalding retort, I turned on my heels and marched back into the conference room.

Meme must have felt my defiant vibe because she whispered in my ear, "I hope you didn't tick him off, we've just been handed envelopes that he's our attending we will be with for the beginning of residency." I looked straight ahead pretending to pay attention to what the presenter was talking about some kind of new procedure for decreased infection with central lines but all I could think was Oh no! What have I done!


When I got home that day I was completely aggravated. I kept playing the conversation over and over in my head. I was mad with myself, mad at Dr. Draegan's complete lack of social skills and I could not believe I was going to be stuck with him for at least the next year. Grrr.


My stomache growling interrupted my train of thought and I went to get some early dinner going. No sooner than I was chopping up some veggies than the buzzer went off.

"Marg! It's me Diane!" 

Crap, I forgot about that. "Come on in girl!"

"I kind of figured you would want to back out after a day like today!" She said with a grin.

"No, I still have to do what I have to do." I resumed chopping. "Do you want a quick bite before we go?" 

"Absolutely, I'll read over some medical journals while you are finishing up." 


After we ate, Diane and I changed into the uniforms asked of us to wear and headed out to the park where we vaccinated more people than I had time to count.


Some yelled like they had been stabbed and some stood perfectly still. It was pretty gun and I was awesome at using the vaccination "gun" by the time the sun was setting. As we were cleaning up, Diane said "You're coming with us to grab a drink at bite to eat aren't you?"

"I wasn't really planning on it but...."

"You're coming!" Diane said matter-of-factly. She can be so pushy but it's always in such a sweet way you can't help but forgive her.

"Okay. Okay. Twist my arm why don't you?" We ran by her house to change which was on the way. She insisted on giving me an outfit that was a little more urban than what I normally wear but looking in her full length mirror I had to admit I looked cute.

Nyguri was scantily dressed to no surprise and was already in a fight-makeup situation with her boyfriend who looked like a skeez. Diane and I sat at the bar. I was feeling a little out of place but I knew after a drink I'd probably relax. I'd just have to be careful considering what had happened before...


After a drink (or two) I was feeling pretty darn good. I chatted and played shuffleboard with Meme, laughed and giggled at the cute guitar player with Diane and Nyguri and then about the time I'd sat back down at the bar for another drink (probably a bad idea). I looked towards the door and saw him walk in.


Dr. Draegan. We aren't at work and I have a thing or two to say to you. I approached him with this in mind. 

"Dr. Draegan"

"Miss Tea." A surprised look crossed his features, "It's nice to see you again, you seem to be having a good time." 

"Now you listen here mister. I don't know from what school of knowledge you've learned manners but I'm still very angry about..."

"Miss Tea, please forgive me for interrupting you once again but I do not wish to argue with you, a lowly resident-to-be. Although I try to leave work at work I will inform you that crossing me outside of it is just as bad as crossing me while there. I can make your life miserable. And Dr. Jones over there invited me to join this party despite it being out of my norm, I have chosen to oblige. Please move aside."


"Why I've never!" I exclaimed shrilly. I followed him continuing on, " I can't believe you're nerve. What allows you to make everyone so miserable? Are you so miserable yourself you can't allow others to be happy or even just be themselves. What an ASS!"

Everyone in the bar turned to look at me. I clamped my hands over my mouth. I can't believe I said that. I ran outside. Luckily a taxi was right there. I jumped in. I looked back to see both Diane and Dr. Draegan starring after me. 


OMB OMB OMB Tears streaked down my face. What in the world had possessed me  to do that? I couldn't blame the drinks alone. It was so unlike me. I'm the mild mannered one of the bunch. OMB.

I ran into my apartment building and straight for the bathroom. I washed the tears and running makeup off. 


I don't know how I can ever go back! I heard my cell give the familiar buzz that someone was trying to be buzzed in. I ignored it. However it was probably Diane and she was persistent and continue to buzz me until I finally hit the okay button. I waited until I heard my apartment door open and close, followed by footsteps before I shouted pitifully "I'm in here, in the bathroom."

To my surprise it was Diane it was Dr. Draegan. "I can't believe this night is really happening. This is a really bad dream. Has to be. Wake up Margarita." I closed my eyes.


"Margarita. Open your eyes. I promise I'm not the nightmare you and everyone else thinks me to be." He gave a small chuckle and I couldn't help but smile skeptically back at him.


"Look I know I have this reputation for being an 'ass' as you so eloquently put it, but I come by it naturally. My attending was an ass and we learn by example right." He paused clearing his throat and taking a more serious face on, "But joking aside I have never in my life been called out on it or spoken to the way you spoke to me tonight." I braced myself for at best another long lecture that would leave me feeling worthless and dejected and at worst my being expelled from the program. But what followed caught me off guard.

He kissed me.......and I kissed him back.





2 comments:

  1. i knew that was coming!!!!
    You Tea girls like to go for the older guys don't they? I don't think this is going to work out so well though.... aren't they still drunk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) I don't know why they like older men so much!

    ReplyDelete