Monday, May 9, 2011

Generation 3- Chapter 10: Am I On a Soap Opera?


I looked up from my book at the clock. It was getting very late. Where is my husband? Gosh that sounds so weird even to me? Lemon Drop is my husband and my soon to be baby's father...wow, that is...I guess I hadn't really thought of that yet. 

Being pregnant is very tiring in itself…growing a human and all and the hands on the clock were ticking by faster and faster with no Lemon Drop. Finally I fell asleep on the couch. I awoke that morning stiff and achy from having slept on the uncomfortable sofa. 

My father was in the kitchen making a late night snack. I slowly made my way into the room, I was waiting to tell Lemon Drop about the baby my father already knew. We had always had a pretty tight bond. He said nothing to me as I debated climbing the stairs, I stood up to walk up them when my father cleared his throat.

“He didn’t come home last night Margie.” I detected some strain in his voice. I was so shocked by what he had actually said that I didn’t have time to dwell on it though. 

“Didn’t come home? There the heck is he? I hope nothing happened, OMB! Do you think I need to call the cops?” I was working myself up now, fiercely worried.

“I highly doubt the police will need to be involved…yet.” The coldness in my father’s voice was an unfamiliar sound to me and it chilled me to the bone.

“Dad, what’s going on?” I said slowly but my voice was more steady than it had been initially.
“I got a call from your Uncle Pepper last evening.” He paused, taking a bite of his cereal and chewing slowly. “And it seems your husband has been out and about enjoying his new citizenship. In fact he’s made a new FRIEND.”

I must have had a puzzled look on my face because my Dad’s look turned to concern, “Margarita…I don’t know how else to say this so I’ll just put it bluntly…You’re new husband is a hound, he was out with Pepper’s neighbor from Chambrie, seems like they knew each other very well beings he saw them with their hands all over each other. “ 

“What?...There must be a mistake…” I couldn’t believe it, my head was swimming. Surely Lemon wouldn’t have made the same mistake twice…he seemed so sincere. Maybe I had been too wrapped up in my loneliness to notice his behavior was a little bizarre…or maybe…I shook my head slowly…How could I have forgotten the answering machine message. I had never even questioned him about it. Stupid, stupid Margarita…just plain dumb girl. Tears came to my eyes but I shook them away.

We got into the car and drove over to Pepper's neighborhood. What I saw when I walked up to the only house with lit windows at this time of night was enough to make my blood boil. 



“Marg…” Dad took my hand in his. “I wish I could believe that what you are showing me isn’t true Dad but I know better…I should have known better…”

With that said I stormed into the strange woman's house. The shock in Lemon Drop's eyes and lack of guilt made me even more angry. I laid into him and said such unladylike things that I can't even begin to repeat. Dad had his share of words with Lemon Drop as well.

With my anger out I felt suddenly tired and defeated. I told Lemon Drop it was over and that he could have his French floozy. I also told him not to bother coming back to the house. He could collect his things from the yard.


As Dad and I climbed into the cab of the truck, I was still muttering under my breath but the look on Dad's face caught my attention and he grabbed my hand. My voice drifted off.  He looked down and patted my hand. “You and the baby will always be taken care of Margarita. Unless you want me to drag his butt back to the house tonight?”

“No. He’s a liar and I don’t really want him to have anything to do with the baby.” 

“Ok Margarita. Let's go home, so that you can throw his stuff out.” He gave me a half-hearted smile and I couldn’t help but laugh through my tears. This was not a great day.

The scene at the house was not pretty when Lemon came home. Dad had apparently been up all night and had a few more things to say to him as he gathered his things. I didn't even bother coming downstairs. I did not want anything else to do with him.

By the time Thyme and Dew Drop made it home from school and work, Lemon Drop’s bags had been packed and he was only berry knows where. 

They did their best to try to cheer me up but I was down in the dumps. Finally Dew Drop suggested we head around town, grab a movie and a bite to eat. I nodded in response.

"And!" She declared, "We are going to dress up!" 


The night started off poorly, with me being in the dumps, our movie time had been wrong in the paper and it was going to be an hour and a half wait before we could get into Grandma Thistle's old restaurant.

"I can't believe I'm going to be one of those women!" I proclaimed as we finally sat down to eat.

"What women?" Dew Drop and Thyme said spontaneously. 

"A single mom with a cheating, no good baby-daddy who's not in the picture." I said it in earnest but as I looked at Dew Drop and Thyme's faces we all burst out laughing. It was so absurd. 

"Yeah Marg, I never pegged you for one of those. But look at the bright side. Now that Lemon Doofus is out of the picture, we'll be the baby's daddies. We'll help you." 

"I can't ask you guys to do that. As soon as the baby is born, I'm going back to school here in Sugar Valley, taking my boards and going in to practice. I'll probably have to work my way up the ladder, but I can do it."

"Well, we'll drink to that...as always, you are the most determined of us three."  Dew Drop smiled. "So am I having a niece or a nephew?" 
 I smiled and said I didn't know yet. I couldn't help but be appreciative of the family I had. Life might just be okay after all.

6 comments:

  1. What a douchey user Lemon Drop is. Glad that she has a good supportive family willing to help her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah unfortunately he just had the evil trait and was also a mooch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO!!!! u.u Lemon you douche canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a first time hearing that particular expression Berry! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. :O Stupid Lemon. I liked him and now I.... I HATE HIM! :o (I can't believe I just said that LOL)

    So yea I just finished catching up today and I noticed its been over 2 months! :o I understand you are busy in RL and what not, so take your time with this. It would just be nice to see another dramatic episode of... I mean.. another chapter of this Legacy! LOL

    ReplyDelete